Each year the PTSA raises funds to support PTSA activities and provide resources to the school and students. In recent years, we contributed in the following ways:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs such as STEM Night where students and parents learn about how STEM can be applied in the professional world.
- Academic enrichment programs like the Sligo Study Skills Workshop and Shakespeare Live — a dynamic interactive theater production that enhances the existing Shakespeare curriculum.
- Cultural outreach programs to assure that every community has a voice at Sligo
- Ongoing county– and state–level advocacy to improve the middle school experience for all children.
How do we raise funds?
We raise funds through events, sponsorships, direct donations, and other activities. Some fundraising projects are listed below.
- Sligo’s Annual Fitness Fun Day.
The largest PTSA fundraiser of the year promotes fitness and school spirit. Donations support PTSA-funded programs like academic and cultural enrichment events, school dances, staff appreciation activities and field trip support.
- Sligo Dines Out.
The dining out program is a partnership between the school and local restaurants. The school gets a percentage of the takings, which varies depending on the restaurant, when people present a flyer or simply just mention the school’s name. Baskin Robbins and Gusto Italian Grill have helped support Sligo Middle School. Businesses that have supported us in the past include: Panera (Wheaton Mall), Pete’s New Haven Pizza (Silver Spring), Chipotle (Wheaton Mall), Ledo Pizza (Wheaton), Chipotle (Kensington), Baskin Robbins (Kensington), BurgerFi (Silver Spring) and Pollo Campero (Wheaton).
AmazonSmile allows you to support Sligo every time you shop, at no cost to you. The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to Sligo. Tens of millions of products are eligible.