Each year the PTSA raises funds to support PTSA activities and provide resources to the school and students. Last year we contributed in the following ways:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs such as STEM Night where students and parents learn about how STEM can be applied in the professional world.
- Academic enrichment programs like the Sligo Study Skills Workshop and Shakespeare Live — a dynamic interactive theater production that enhances the existing Shakespeare curriculum.
- Cultural outreach programs to assure that every community has a voice at Sligo
- Ongoing county– and state–level advocacy to improve the middle school experience for all children.
How do we raise funds?
We raise funds through events, sponsorships, direct donations, and other activities. Some current fundraising projects are listed below.
- Sligo’s First Annual Fitness Fun Day.
The largest PTSA fundraiser of the 2015-2016 year promoted fitness and school spirit. Donations will support PTSA-funded programs like academic and cultural enrichment events, school dances, staff appreciation activities and field trip support.
- Sligo Dines Out.
The dining out program is a partnership between the school and local restaurants. The school gets a percentage of the takings, which varies depending on the restaurant, when people present a flyer or simply just mention the school’s name. In the 2015-2016 school year, Baskin Robbins and Gusto Italian Grill have helped support Sligo Middle School. Businesses that have supported us in the past include: Panera (Wheaton Mall), Pete’s New Haven Pizza (Silver Spring), Chipotle (Wheaton Mall), Ledo Pizza (Wheaton), Chipotle (Kensington), Baskin Robbins (Kensington), BurgerFi (Silver Spring) and Pollo Campero (Wheaton).
- Snider’s receipts.
Snider’s donates 1% back to Sligo. You can drop off your receipts in the main office. The money really adds up!
- Register your Giant card
Giant’s A+ School Rewards are points that supporters earn with each purchase made using their Giant Card. At the end of each month, the points earned are used in a calculation to determine your school’s cash total, which is then automatically credited to your school’s account. Sligo’s School ID is 02631.
AmazonSmile allows you to support Sligo every time you shop, at no cost to you. The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to Sligo. Tens of millions of products are eligible.
- Box Tops for Education.
The school earns 10¢ for each box top you clip from hundreds of participating products. The box tops add up, and the school can receive up to $20,000 each year. We collect box tops in the Main Office; just look for the blue box.
- Sligo MyLocker.
12% of sales of Sligo clothing/gear donated to school