In October 2018, we had a presentation by the Counseling team on how to use Naviance. Meeting minutes, approved at the December 2018 meeting, are posted below:
PTSA Meeting Notes
Sligo Middle School
- 15 parents were in attendance, in addition to 3 school counselors and Ms. Jordanby (school principal).
- Meeting started at 7:04 pm.
- Fitness Fun Day was discussed. It will be held on 10/26/18, and students will participate during their PE period. Parents can set up online accounts to help their students raise money. Parent volunteers are still needed. So far, $10,000 has been raised from corporate sponsorship. We are hoping for an additional $7,000 from parent donations.
- The minutes from the last meeting (9-11-18) were distributed and they were accepted unanimously.
- Jordanby discussed Naviance, an online system for college preparation. Students can take online personality tests which may help them identify careers that could appeal to them. The system also helps to identify which classes are necessary for various college majors. With Naviance, students can compare programs at different colleges and universities. The students’ GPA is also linked to the system, as well as class rank.
- Parents went to the computers and the school counselors led parents through a Naviance tutorial. Students can set goals for the year on their profile, and identify steps needed to attain those goals.
- Log-in information is mailed to parents each school year. Parents can see most (but not all) of the information that their student has entered into the system.
- Students can watch vignettes about people in various careers. Vocational trades are also included, not just college majors. Thomas Edison is a newly-renovated school that offers a variety of vocational programs.
- The meeting ended at approx. 8:00 pm.